Voicemail is an optional feature that must be requested (additional charges may apply).
Activating your Mailbox
1-2 business days after requesting your voicemail box, complete the following steps to activate your mailbox:
- Dial the voicemail access number
- Storrs: On Campus = 6-5555; Off Campus = 860-486-5555
- Hartford, West Hartford and Vernon: 860-947-1191
- Avery Point, Groton and Norwich: 860-887-9246
- Waterbury: 203-754-2026
- Stamford: 203-846-2598
- North Haven and Hamden: 203-498-0553
- If calling from off-campus or from a shared phone (with multiple mailboxes)
- When the system answers, press * key on your telephone.
- The system will then prompt you to enter your mailbox number
- Mailbox Number = 7 digit telephone number.
- At non-Storrs locations, you may also use your 10 digit telephone number
- Listen to the tutorial. When the system prompts you to enter your temporary password, enter your 7 digit telephone number (without the area code)
- The system will then ask you to change your temporary password to a new password. Your personal password must be between 6 and 15 digits long.
- Record your full name and then record your personal greeting when prompted. When you have completed recording, press the # key. To restart your recording, press the * key.
A message waiting light or stutter dialtone will alert you that there are new messages in your mailbox. The message waiting indicator will remain until all new messages have been retrieved.
- Follow the instructions above to access your mailbox
- Refer to the Quick Reference Guide below for menu options.
NOTE: When you are finished using the voicemail system, always press the * key until the system says “goodbye” then hang up.
Voicemail Quick Reference Guide
|Listening to Messages||Press|
|Review Unheard Messages||1 + 1|
|Skip to Next Message||#|
|Skip to Archived Messages||# + #|
|Fast Forward and Delete||3 + 3 + 7|
|At End of Message||Press|
|Check Date & Time Stamp||5|
|Forward Message to Another Mailbox||6|
|Forward Copy and Remove Introductions||6 + 6|
|Changing Your Password||Press|
|From Main Menu||4 + 2 + 1 + 1|
|Changing Your Greeting||Press|
|Personal Greeting||4 + 3 + 1 + 2|
|Extended Absence||4 + 3 + 2|
|Recorded Name||4 + 3 + 3|
|Sending a Message||Press|
|1. From Main Menu:||2|
|2. Record Message|
|3. When Finished Recording||#|
|4. Enter Destination Mailbox Number*|
|5. Send Message||#|
|Transfer a Caller Directly to Voicemail||Press|
|1. While on a call, start transfer process||Transfer|
|2. Listen for dial tone, then dial voicemail|
|3. When system answers (press * twice)||* + *|
|4. Enter the 7-digit mailbox number.|
|5. Send Caller||Transfer|
*If you don’t know the mailbox number, press # and then spell last name.
(If name has a Q, press 7; if it has a Z, press 9.)